Monday 18 March 2019

Singer Joy Villa wears ‘Build The Wall’ dress to the 2019 Grammys

Joy Villa Joy Villa has made a political statement on this year’s 2019 Grammy red carpet – once again. The singer opted to wear a “Build The Wall” gown to the annual award show, with a brick-inspired pattern dress, barbed wire on her shoulders, spikes in her hair and, of course, a MAGA handbag. 
Getty Images The gown was created by Desi Lee Allinger-Nelson of Desi Designs Couture, Villa told The Hollywood Reporter. “When Trump came in the picture, at first I hated him,” Villa told the outlet. “All my music friends hated him and wanted Bernie. I thought ‘Bernie looks good; he seems like a cool dude.’ To me, the Republicans weren’t cool. And Trump ended up becoming so obnoxious and so in our face.” But, as the musician went on to research the current U.S. president, she soon became a supporter. “I was a secret Trumper for months,” she says. (AP Photo) This isn’t the first time Villa has chosen a political ensemble for the award show. Last year, she wore a white gown painted with a red fetus in a rainbow uterus with an a handbag bearing the phrase “Choose Life.” (Getty) MAGA is having a small fashion moment at the 2019 Grammys.. Singers Joy Villa and Ricky Rebel both used the red carpet to spread their pro-Trump messages. First up is Villa, who dressed as President Trump’s hotly contested border wall. Draped in silver with barbed wire tufts on her shoulders and carrying a “Make America Great Again” bag. “This is what I believe in,” Villa told Variety’s Marc Malkin. “I believe in the President, I just released an album called ‘Home Sweet Home’ and it’s all about my love for America, barbed wire, I’m having fun with it.”
In 2017, she made waves on the red carpet for wearing a dress with the phrase “Make America Great” printed down the front and the name “Trump” at the back of her gown. “I grew up in theater, so I’ve always used costume as a way to express myself,” Villa told THR.  “It’s an opportunity to show the world who I am on the red carpet, which to me is the same as a stage. I approach it as a show. I want to ‘wow’ people.”