Wednesday 31 January 2018

One Day Will Come - Eines Tages Kommt Es - Poetry Vinh Liem

One Day Will Come

I have been here in a strange country;
My heart is sad — without family, with no happiness!
I don’t know why I’m here!
My life has been full of tears.

Three years have passed since 1975.
I have opened my eyes,
To see what will happen in my future.
I feel unlucky, just like a failure!  

Who gave my country away to the communists?
So many men arrived here without their kids!
They dream every day and every night,
About the family reunion with their wives.

I love my country just the same as I do my parents,
There, I can have everything I want.
My mother cooking me good food and making my clothes; 
And bringing to me the family life I really enjoy.

Now everything is so far away.
The new life has changed the Vietnamese every day.
They have to live without hope, medicine, clothes and food.
Do you think that communism is still good?

I wish I could return home some day,
We will enjoy freedom that we pray.
My parents will say: ‘Hello my good boy!’
I will then kiss my children and my wife.

(St. Louis, Sept. 10, 1978)
VINH LIEM

Eines Tages Kommt Es

Ich bin in einem fremden Land;
Es trauert mir das Herz — ohne Verwandten, ohne Glück!
Ich weiss nicht, warum ich da bin!
Mir ist das Leben tränenvoll.

Drei Jahre sind seit 1975 vergangen.
Ich habe die Augen geöffnet,
Um zu sehen, was mir die Zukünft bringt.
Ich fühle mich glücklos, genau wie ein Taugenichts.

Wer gab mein Land den Kommunisten?
So viele kamen ohne Kinder hierher!
Sie träumen Tag und Nacht
Von dem Wiedersehen mit den Frauen.

Ich liebe mein Land so sehr wie ich die Eltern liebe,
Dort kann ich alles Erwünschte haben,
Die Mutter mir Gutes kochen, Kleider machen,
Und mir die Familie bringen, die mir so gefällt.

Nun ist alles fern von hier.
Das neue Leben verwandelt die Vietnamesen jeden Tag.
Sie müssen ohne Hoffnung, Medizin, Kleider und Essen leben.
Glaubst du, daß die Kommunisten so gut seien?

Ich wünsche, ich könnte eines Tages zur Heimat wiederkehren.
Gott wird uns die Freiheit in die Hand geben.
Meine Eltern werden sagen, “Hallo, guter Bub!”
Ich werde dann meine Kinder und Frau küssen.

(St. Louis, Sept. 10, 1978)
VINH LIEM
(Übersetzt von Dr. T. L. Eichman)

(Source: Vinh Liem: Without Beginning Without End, Poetry, pp. 1-4, Lulu 2008)