Saturday 14 April 2018

24 of the Best Ever Classical Piano Concertos

I had always considered classical music beyond my comprehension, until one day I sat down and listened to Piano Concerto No. 20 by Mozart. I was so mesmerized by the depth and beauty of that great work that I became hooked! I realized many years later it was no accident that I was seduced by a piano concerto, rather than opera, chamber music, or other orchestral works. Piano concertos occupy a special place in classical music, being part orchestral (nearly symphonic) in grandeur and power, and part chamber music, thanks to the soft, intimate, and familiar sounds of the piano. Piano concertos offer a great introduction to classical music for the uninitiated. So, here I've collected some 24 of my favorite piano concertos to share with you. I couldn't begin to tell you which I most prefer. How about you?